BRA COUTURE KC CELEBRATES THE JOURNEY TO SURVIVAL
First Friday in May
SIGNATURE FLIGHT SUPPORT (TWA MUSEUM – DOWNTOWN AIRPORT)
Bra Couture KC raises funds for cancer patients in the greater Kansas City area who cannot pay for their cancer supplies such as cancer medication, transportation to treatment, prosthetics, wigs, surgical supplies and lymphedema garments. Serving men, women and children touched by all cancers, our primary event uniquely celebrates breast cancer survivors to raise funds for Kansas City area organizations who are aligned with our mission.
Bra Couture KC’s annual event is a unique and fun auction event showcasing eclectic work-of-art bras modeled by breast cancer survivors to celebrate their triumph over cancer. A tribute to survivors’ fighting spirit, Bra Couture KC benefits The University of Kansas Cancer Center programs and services, such as The Patient in Need Fund at Missys’ Boutique, an accredited appearance center at The University of Kansas Cancer Center’s Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Care Center and the creation of a new Bra Couture KC appearance center in the Richard and Annette Block Cancer Pavilion at Truman Medical Center. In 2015 BCKC expanded funding for uninsured to North Kansas City Hospital, Shawnee Mission Hospital and Cancer Action. The fund ensures access for services to eligible uninsured and underinsured individuals.
Event Date: First Friday in May
Event Location: Signature Flight Support (TWA Museum – Downtown Airport) – 10 NW Richards Road, Kansas City, MO 64116
The VIP Experience
- Meet the Bra Couture KC Models
- Mingle with team members from Sporting KC, KC Chiefs
- Exclusive artwork and work-of-art bras only available at the VIP Party
- Bid on an amazing trip for you and your friends
- Meet and enjoy food by celebrity chefs
Bra Couture KC Art Walk
The Bra Couture KC Art Walk features approximately 50 work-of-art bras that are available in a silent auction with the proceeds benefiting eligible uninsured/underinsured cancer patients throughout the greater Kansas City area. These one-of-a-kind art bras are designed and created by family & friends of survivors, local artists, celebrities and volunteers. Included in the Art Walk are local artists who will be there to sell their amazing art work that includes many different media including ceramics, jewelry, wood bowls, garden totems and paintings.
The Fashion Show
The “Top 16″ art bras are modeled live on the runway and auctioned live by George Nigro. Every art bra comes with an amazing package that includes such things as trips, jewelry, a KC night out, etc. Fashion show models are breast cancer survivors and patients; their runway costumes coordinate with the theme of the art bra they are modeling.
In addition to the auction taking place on the runway, more than 40 pieces of amazing art objects will be featured in the silent auction. The other pieces of art and items will be intermingled for the silent and live auctions.
Bra Couture KC has an “auction off” between area rivals KU, MU and K-State with all mascots present. Last year MU won the bidding contest, so this year so the challenge is on for KU and K-State!
Accomplishments of Bra Couture KC
Bra Couture KC is proud to announce our accomplishments and expansion of services throughout Kansas City:
- In just six years Bra Couture KC has raised over $980,000 for Kansas City’s uninsured/underinsured cancer community
- As well as serving over 5,000 uninsured cancer patients at KU alone, we have:
- Donated $35,000 to purchase a lymphedema measuring machine at KU Cancer Center
- Donated $45,000 to close the gap for cancer medications for uninsured cancer patients and $5,000 for transportation for patients to receive critical treatment at the KU Cancer Center
- Donated $30,000 to create a new Lymphedema Services practice at the KU Cancer Center under the direction of Dr. Jamie Wagner, recently hired from MD Anderson
- Bra Couture KC is excited to announce Truman Medical Center (TMC) as a recipient of Bra Couture KC proceeds from 2014/15 to the Bra Couture KC appearance center in the Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Center at TMC. With our support, cancer patients at TMC will have high-quality appearance items such as wigs, prosthetics, and other pre- and post-op surgical supplies, professionally fitted to each patient by on-site certified technicians from within the nurse navigator group at TMC. Bra Couture KC will fund the certification cost for each technician, as well as provide lymphedema garments to patients in need.
- Bra Couture KC is a founding member of the Wyandotte County Task Force to address a critical issue: Wyandotte County currently has the highest percentage of women losing their lives to breast cancer in America. Bra Couture KC will develop the educational video and take-a-ways to be used by this task force to increase the awareness for early detection and save lives.
- Bra Couture KC also donated funds to support uninsured at North Kansas City Hospital, Shawnee Mission Hospital and Cancer Action.
- Bra Couture KC in partnership with Surviving the Odds, holds screening parties bi-monthly to screen women from underserved communities for early detection. We have screened over 160 women in 2015 alone.
Please consider becoming a sponsor for Bra Couture KC; all of the money raised by Bra Couture KC remains right here in the greater Kansas City area to take care of our own.